Re: [Enigma-devel] Port of r99 to Lua 5.1

From: Tacvek
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Port of r99 to Lua 5.1
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 14:24:10 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Heck" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2006 2:07 PM

The main challenge is to update all the scripts that use %upvalues, and
anyhting
else that does not happen to work with lua5.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought upvalues were abandoned in favor of
full lexical scoping in Lua 5.  In this case, wouldn't the problem be
solved by simply %variable with variable everywhere?

Well There are a few problems.
If there is any code that depends on "%upvalue" refering to the value as it was when the fnction was defined rather than the current value, then a slight workaround is needed.

The workaround needed is described in: http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2005-11/msg00314.html

Also there is the case of things like:
Local y
y=%y

If this is used anywhere a different workaround would be nessisary.

The other incompatabilites mentioned in the "Incompatibilities with Previous Versions" sections of the 5.0 and 5.1 manuals
also apply.