Re: [Enigma-devel] Re: Newly ordered levels

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Re: Newly ordered levels
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 21:49:44 +0100

Hello Erich,

Erich Schubert wrote:
The challenging task is to handle the differences in the installation mechanisms of the operating systems.

Leave Debian GNU/Linux, Debian GNU/kFreeBSD, Debian GNU/hurd and Ubuntu
to me. ;-)
[...]
Yes, I'll happily take care of Debian and Ubuntu.

and we are happy that you do!

Note that Enigma is already split in two for these - enigma and
engima-common (which contains the platform independant stuff)

Further splits could include e.g. different sound or graphics themes,
too.

My concern is to keep the source repository in a way that you can split the distributions and updates for some operating systems like Linux and provide others with monolithic distributions and updates at the same time.

For a future network 2-player game option it will be essential that both players use compatible game engines and level versions.

An installation to the users HOME Enigma directory would be preferable.
Definitely, and the online updater comes in handy for these, too.
Do levels already include version numbers to detect updates? Or maybe
use some form of timestamping?

0.92 levels are plain Lua code. A level version number is included in the index.

For the next release I would like to introduce XML levels with appropriate versioning metadata included in the level itself.

The current experimental trunk version is capable of reading XML levels in the new format, contains 4 demo levels and the reference documentation quite close to the implementation. But the versioning itself is still subject of investigation.

best regards,

Ronald