Re: [Enigma-devel] Loss of lifes in Debian 0.92.1-1 enigma releases

From: Erich Schubert
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Loss of lifes in Debian 0.92.1-1 enigma releases
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:07:23 +0100

Hello Ronald,
> Wouldn't it be preferable to provide a stable release after each major
> release cylcle to Debian users? The current stable Debian Enigma release
> seems to be 0.81 based.

There are not updates to stable except for security and other very good
reasons. Even for regular bugfixes there wouldn't be updates for enigma
on stable.
Thats part of the very nature of Debian stable.
So basically the next hard deadline we have is the earliest in
december...

> If you stick to r71 or publish further interim releases it is up to you
> to inform the Debian users about this unsupported update procedure.

Well, the package is only in unstable for now. I can file a bug to
prevent it from entering testing; we don't have to care as much for
upgrade paths in unstable.

> r71 saves the score still in the old .enimgarc2 which will be
> autoupdated with next major release.

Which should be fine, shouldn't it?
And this way you get some additional testing for the current svn
versions. ;-)

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
     erich@(vitavonni.de|debian.org)    --    GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C     (o_
 A man doesn't know what he knows until he knows what he doesn't know. //\