Re: [Enigma-devel] Linux

From: Erich Schubert
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Linux
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 16:50:51 +0100

Hi,
Porbably not the most appropriate list for this question.

>     How many versions of Linux are there?! I browsed on the internet and

Countably many. Tons. It doesn't matter.

> Free

Most of them are free to download, you usually have to pay for
professional support.

> Looks good

They all look pretty much the same, since they use the same software.
They just might have different default themes. But you can make a
Debian look like a SuSE.

> Works well

Any mainstream distro does.

> Has an "Office suite"

Only one? Most have three.

> Can be put onto a CD for CD Boot

Most can, the level of difficulty just varies. I'd suggest to go with Ubuntu.

> If anyone knows of a Linux version which does all of that, then tell
> me,please.

All do.
If you are a beginner, go with Ubuntu or SuSE.
If you are a developer, go with Debian.
If you are crazy about optimizing every tiny bit of your system,
without caring if this takes hours and hours - go with Gentoo.

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\