Re: [Enigma-devel] Sound problem on one computer

From: George Lengel
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Sound problem on one computer
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 00:01:59 -0400

On Wednesday 23 June 2004 08:29 am, you wrote:
> > On the main computer sound works fine for all users. The sound card is a
> > builtin SIS chip that uses the Intel8x0 module. Sound works  on every
> > program I try just fine. On the second computer it has a VIA826xx sound
> > chip using the VIA826xx module. Sound works for almost everything there
> > except Enigma. I have tied every Enigma setting with no luck. It works
> > for no users at all but sound for all users works in other programs.
>
> Is this perhaps alsa-related?  Which libsdl1.2-packages are install on
> your two machines?  Or maybe there is some sound daemon running? I do
> not believe (or rather, hope) this is Enigma's fault... did you try
> other games based on SDL?
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

Daniel

Thanks for the idea. I found some other SDL games and installed them. They
only worked on the one computer.  I started digging into ALSA and KDE and
realized the mess their coexistence can be. I found some good tips on the
ALSA Wiki for this and after changing some config files, I now have it
working. I think the most important setting was changing the Auto Suspend
after Idle setting in the KDE Control Center from 0 seconds to 1 second.
Seems like the sound card in the other computer works better with the 1
second value instead of zero.

Up until then the KDE sound server was not letting any SDL app get the sound
card. The clue towards that was I ran the SDL games in a console and they
worked correctly. Also, I could killall artsd and they would work in KDE
until it restarted artsd again so it could produce some sound.

I appreciate your help.

--
George Lengel (Worm)
"Kohli head. You could have been lava bones.