Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma - Some Report

From: Daniel Heck
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma - Some Report
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 00:23:37 +0100

Hi Michael,

> I have some ideas for Enigma:
> - Work on with the graphical level editor!

I'd really love to, but I simply do not have the time at the moment.
Programming the game itself (not to mention, creating the graphics) is
already a lot of work, and with a couple of exams around the corner, the
time I can spend on Enigma is quite limited.  A graphical level editor
is on my todo list, but so are multiplayer support and the oodles of
game objects from Oxyd that are still missing.  It will happen, but
probably not within the next 6 months.  That is, unless someone with C++
skills and free time steps up and offers to help...

> -The lives don't disappear when you lose one. This could be selectable
> in the options menu.

As Ingo already pointed out, removing lives is a little pointless right
now.  It will become a useful feature as soon as levels do not restart
from the very beginning when you lose a life.  The next Enigma release
will include the "respawn point" flags from Oxyd; until then, the extra
lifes are merely eyecandy.

> -There is no music in the levels. Could you make a file where you can
> define music (S3M, MOD)  for the levels?

If I find the time, I will.

> -The control with the mouse is very difficult and more probably than
> in the original Oxyd Game. Could you make that better till Version
> 6.0?

Until version 6.0 I will certainly be able to improve it.  If you're
willing to wait a few years... :-)

Honestly, I already tried a few times to improve the controls, but
finding the right balance is difficult.  The current settings works
pretty well for me, but I may give it another try.

> -It would be nice if you could make all (or some more) original Oxyd
> levels for Enigma.

Patience, we are working on it.  There are more than 600 levels to
create; even with a level editor, that would be a lot of work.

> -When I select "Window" in the Options Menu, I don't get the window
> mode(after restarting Enigma too).

What version of Enigma do you use, and on what operating system? I
suspect it's version 0.50 on some Windows system.  Try the 0.60-beta
from http://loshawlos.homeip.net/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Enigma/Enigma --
it should work there (tell me if it doesn't).

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Daniel Heck                             address@hidden