Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma 0.60-beta

From: Martin Hawlisch
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma 0.60-beta
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 16:29:14 +0100 (MET)

Hello Marcio!
Hello Daniel!

Daniel Heck wrote:
> Marcio Luis Teixeira <address@hidden> wrote:
> > 4) On the list of levels in the "Enigma" set, the titles for
> >    #74 and #75 run into each other. Perhaps two lines ought
> >    to be reserved for titles, or the titles be truncated
> >    with "...".
>
> That's because I put a reminder in the title that these levels don't
> belong into the "enigma" menu. This will disappear in 0.60.

I will sort these out. They have already been moved to other level packs and
are duplicates (I think).

> > 5) The "todo" levels don't look very professional. I liked
> >    it how it was before, without the placeholder levels.
> >    Maybe have the game hide "todo" levels unless a special
> >    command line option is used to start the game?
> >
> >    I understand you guys are trying to perfectly clone
> >    the original Oxyd games, but for people who aren't
> >    familiar with the originals, this isn't really that
> >    important.
> >
> >    The grouping of levels is a nice feature, and might
> >    be good once all the levels are complete, but you
> >    may want to consider disabling this feature for the
> >    0.60 release. The way version 0.50 did things made
> >    the game look a lot more complete, 0.60 seems to
> >    want to emphasize the fact that it isn't complete.
>
> I see your point; the level grouping will certainly be confusing for
> everyone who has never heard of Oxyd.  I just thought of a solution that
> might work. Putting all levels into one single menu doesn't -- there
> are too many of them by now (~140 I think).  But we may default to three
> Menus "Easy", "Medium" and "Hard" instead of "Enigma", "Esprit", ...
> This would also (partially) compensate for the fact that there is now
> way to change the difficulty of particular levels. Adding an option to
> group the levels by game would then be easy.

My sugestion for the next release is to merge all the oxyd cloned levels
into one level pack and sort them roughly by difficulty so that we have two
level packs in the 0.60 release. I can do that later this day. More time - more
levels - more levelpacks on the following releases.

Daniel, for me the new volume options segfault. Both show a value of 10.
Pressing a mousebutton gives me:

Program received signal SIGFPE, Arithmetic exception.
[Switching to Thread 16384 (LWP 12078)]
0x4011976e in Mix_Volume () from /usr/lib/libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.0
(gdb) bt
#0  0x4011976e in Mix_Volume () from /usr/lib/libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.0
#1  0x08099ce9 in sound::UpdateVolume () at sound.cc:65
#2  0x0807a756 in {anonymous}::SoundVolumeButton::on_action (this=0x82c5d90)
at menus.cc:408
#3  0x08065227 in gui::TextButton::on_event (this=0x82c5d90, address@hidden)
at gui.cc:173
#4  0x080654ea in gui::Menu::handle_event (this=0xbffff884, address@hidden)
at gui.cc:261
#5  0x080653dd in gui::Menu::manage (this=0xbffff884, scr=0x80f5020) at
gui.cc:223
#6  0x08079516 in enigma::GUI_OptionsMenu () at menus.cc:751
#7  0x0807936d in {anonymous}::MainMenu::on_action (this=0xbffffa20,
w=0x82c6048) at menus.cc:674
#8  0x08065227 in gui::TextButton::on_event (this=0x82c6048, address@hidden)
at gui.cc:173
#9  0x080654ea in gui::Menu::handle_event (this=0xbffffa20, address@hidden)
at gui.cc:261
#10 0x080653dd in gui::Menu::manage (this=0xbffffa20, scr=0x80f5020) at
gui.cc:223
#11 0x080794b9 in enigma::GUI_MainMenu (lp=0x80dd448, ilevel_pack=0) at
menus.cc:742
#12 0x08062654 in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffffb24) at enigma.cc:805
(gdb)

And the magickwand mousecursor in the menu shows a darker background when
running enigma --8bpp.

--
Cheers, Martin.

http://www.hawlisch.de