emonkey-announce

[Emonkey-announce] psalm laundry

From: Sadie Watson
Subject: [Emonkey-announce] psalm laundry
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 22:31:15 -0600

Im to go down for a week, so that he cansee me with horses. The whole thing makes me feel I dont want to be alive. I liked it better the first time, certainly. All this bacon, allthese eggs, and half these potatoes could be produced here.
That was not my real reason, but it put the finishing touch.
Surely, sir, youve never had any bother there? The General, smokingglumly, kept his glance averted; Clare went to the window.
And I, having made a wrong one already, can only be trusted tomake another?
At last, baffled and disquiet, she went back tothe cab.
In short, time flowed, but the conundrum ofexistence remained unsolved. She ought to stay here to-night, dont you think, Dinny?
Yes, youre very unlike, but to have you wasted would be farworse.
The bit I liked best was that between the son and the girl. The moment he had gone Dinny said:She must have been waylaid, Auntie.
Armistice day, said Clare, turning into her bedroom. She might have mixed in the crowd, butnever that!
I think mysister should be left to herself.
I feel in my bones that Jerryshanging round the Mews. You must know my son, he said, hes an enthusiast too, though hemust be thirty-seven by now. Prepare yourself to point me the moral ofthe next act. Clare looked at her sister with asort of unhappy defiance.
I think mysister should be left to herself.
Everythings simply perfect at his stud farm.
A workshop trying to turn out perfect specimens; a millionfailures to each success. At last, baffled and disquiet, she went back tothe cab. One neverknew what they were thinking, of course; but that might be as well. Characters our way of showing the desire for perfection. Dont you think, said Adrian, that Dornford ought to know howthings stand? Sir Lawrence answered:Better wait till we break, Dinny; a few minutes cant matter now.
Whats wanted is the slogan: Fresh air andexercise for good instincts. He says, I think rightly, that its more to yourinterest even than to his. I dont know anyone Id like better for a sister-in-law. Drooping moustaches and chignons do hide _expression_, but was therethe _expression_?
I dont know anyone Id like better for a sister-in-law.
Dinny controlled herself to say quietly: I dont think Clares inany danger.
I know itdoesnt show; but there is, Mother, there is! I suppose most of these people will go on to night clubs now.
Sweet of you, Aunt Em; but really I know what Im about.
What are you goin to do about him, Clare?
Surely, sir, youve never had any bother there?