emacsconf-org

Talk proposal: Emacs Saves the Web

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Talk proposal: Emacs Saves the Web
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 23:30:32 +1000

Hello,

I would like to submit a talk proposal. I will need to spend sometime
developing the idea further, but here what I have in mind at this
moment. Let me know what you think, thanks.

Title: Emacs Saves the Web

Abstract: On one hand, Emacs is the crown jewel of the GNU Project for
its customisability and the ability to effortlessly convert users to
hackers. On the other hand, today many of the sticky issues with
proprietary software proliferation stems from the web, including the
Javascript trap[1] on the client side and the SaaSS trap[2] on the
server side. So enters the topic of this talk. I will briefly talk about
these issues and existing solutions, followed by ideas and
demonstrations on how Emacs can fix user freedom on the web, including
(from realistic to dreamy): emacs clients for specific websites and
services i.e. replacing read-only javascript forced on your browser with
hackable free elisp packages, emacs-based browsers aka universal
frontends and elisp version of users-cripts / greasemonkey / haketilo,
write-once-run-everywhere elisp programs (e.g. the emacs web server and
(nonexistent?) emacs mobile app UI framework), and remote emacs servers
that can be shared by a group of hackers running server programs written
in elisp, thus eliminating the SaaSS trap.

[1] https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.html
[2] https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.en.html

Best,
Yuchen

--
PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0
          <https://ypei.org/assets/ypei-pubkey.txt>