emacsconf-org

Re: [ANN] EmacsConf 2021 program and posters

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: [ANN] EmacsConf 2021 program and posters
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 16:07:21 -0700

Hi Amin,

Could you please install the below updated text for my talk on the wiki?

Please also remove the "Outline" header and the two bullet points below
it, it is not necessary I think.

Thanks!

Regards,
Stefan

---

Don't write that package! or: How I learned to stop worrying and love
emacs-devel

Stefan Kangas

We need a successful Emacs on this planet.  This means that we need an
excellent out-of-the-box experience -- one that just works, but that you
can still hack and customize.  There is so much great experimentation
and work going on out there in the wider Emacs community, but we would
be even better off if more of that could go into Emacs itself.

Emacs' greatest strength is unfortunately sometimes also its greatest
weakness: it is too hackable.

On occasion, people out there add stuff to their Init file to fix this
or that annoyance, or even bug.  The more ambitious might go on to
package up such fixes: "Hey, `foo-mode' doesn't have support for
`bookmark-set', let's write a package!"  I am here to suggest that you
should not do that.

You should submit a patch to Emacs!  Maybe more people have that same
problem or annoyance, and would benefit from your solution?

It is sometimes perceived as hard to contribute to Emacs core.  I want
to encourage more people to get involved, and show that the barrier to
entry is really not that high.  If I can do it, you can do it too!

So should you really write that package, or should you stop worrying and
learn to love emacs-devel?  Listen to my talk to find out more!