Re: columnview dynamic block - different time summing behaviour for EFFO

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: columnview dynamic block - different time summing behaviour for EFFORT and CLOCKSUM
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 13:42:09 +0000

Alexander Adolf <alexander.adolf@condition-alpha.com> writes:

> Ah, `org-column--clean-item'; well spotted!
>
> Two observations:
>
> 1) As is now, I'm generating the links in the data collection function
>    `org-columns--capture-view'. As `org-column--clean-item' is called
>    from code that runs after the data collection,
>    `org-column--clean-item' was probably never designed to be able to
>    handle strings containing links. That it still did sort of "the right
>    thing" seems more luck than anything else?

There is a difference between what `org-columns--clean-item' does and
stripping link paths.

`org-columns--clean-item' is cleaning up the results for insertion into
a table specifically. This is only meaningful in dynamic block, but not
in the traditional column view where nothing is actually written to
buffer - the columns are displayed on top of the existing headings.
Calling `org-columns--clean-item' is a must to create a valid table.

In contrast, the purpose of `org-link-display-format' is purely visual -
to not make the collected titles way too long. Also, it has no effect
when there is a custom `org-columns-modify-value-for-display-function'
(see `org-columns--displayed-value').

> 2) Considering what happens when I do `org-store-link' and
>    `org-insert-link', it would seem more advisable to:
>
>    a) move the link generation to the new formatting function
>       (re-removing it from `org-columns--capture-view');
>
>    b) pass the "cleaned" string to `org-link-make-string' as both, the
>       link and the description parameter.

I do not recall seeing `org-store-link' in the patches you submitted.
So, I am not sure what you are talking about. May you elaborate?

>> We should probably also change org-clock to use
>> `org-columns--clean-item'.
>> [...]
>
> As a separate patch, or as a third commit to the patch we are discussing
> now?

Up to you.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,