Re: [POLL] Should we enable or disable automatic tag alignment by defaul

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [POLL] Should we enable or disable automatic tag alignment by default everywhere
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 16:36:34 +0000

William Denton <william@williamdenton.org> writes:

> On Wednesday, April 17th, 2024 at 06:21, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to ask you, Org mode users, whether we should flip the default
>> value of ~org-auto-align-tags~ to t or leave it as nil
>
> I use proportional fonts for regular text (with the mixed-pitch package).  In
> this situation, as far as I know the only way to make tags look at consistent
> is to set org-tags-column to 0 so they directly follow the text (I make the
> font size smaller, so there's a large heading then small tag) or to jam them
> way over as far right as they'll go.  Anything else and they look ragged.

Yes. But this is out of scope of the discussed tag alignment -
`org-auto-align-tags' controls the actual plain text in Org buffers.
`org-tags-column' has no meaning when non-proportional fonts are used.

For non-proportional fonts, the display depends on the specifics of the
fonts used to display various parts of the headline. If we want to
display Org tags right-aligned, for example, it is a job for
fontification and does not need to involve editing the underlying plain text.

> So I suspect people using variable pitches will already have this turned on,
> and making it the default won't bother them.

Sure. I'd like to hear from people who do care about the proposed changes.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,