Re: [BUG] LaTeX preview should use a subdirectory in /tmp

From: copropriete27ruemoret
Subject: Re: [BUG] LaTeX preview should use a subdirectory in /tmp
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 17:12:31 +0200

On 25/03/2024 19:49, Max Nikulin wrote:

> > (defun org-ensure-tmp-dir (dir-symbol prefix)
> >    (let ((dir (symbol-value dir-symbol)))
> >      ;; Temporary directory has not been cleaned.
> >      (or (and dir (file-directory-p dir) dir)
>

>`if' should be used instead of `or' here.
>

>>     (setf (symbol-value dir-symbol)
>>           (make-temp-file (or prefix "orgtmp-") 'dir)))))
>>
>> (defvar org-tex-tmpdir nil)
>>
>> Usage example: (org-ensure-tmp-dir 'org-tex-tmpdir "orgtex-")

> I do not like that the function may be called with different
> `temporary-file-directory' and I can not figure out how to adjust API to
> handle such case. On the other hand I am unsure if it is a realistic case
> when this function is called with alternating `temporary-file-directory'.

I have a case where the current way of forcing the temporary directory to me
`/tmp` is wrong. Running emacs on Ubuntu **under WSL2**,, exporting latex
snippets to ODT *as images* fails : the `.dvi` files are correctly compiled and
placed in `/tmp{, but the convert program tries to read them in
`../../../../tmp/`, which is indeed `/tmp` in a "normal" filesystem but **is
not** in WSL, where the root (`/`) is in fact a mounted tree.

Admittedly, this is a corner case, but it turned out to be necessary (exporting
via mathml gave unsatisfying results).