Re: Using org-latex-preview in other major modes

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Using org-latex-preview in other major modes
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2024 14:11:26 +0000

Karthik Chikmagalur <karthikchikmagalur@gmail.com> writes:

>> We may go even further, and extend the previews to be not just for
>> LaTeX. Might as well preview html/image links/pdf links/etc.
>
> I agree in principle but I think this is difficult to do with
> org-latex-preview because the async process chain and overlay handling are
> highly tuned for low-latency LaTeX processing.[1]
>
> I do think Emacs could use a generic link-preview package, with an
> org-link-preview adapter for Org mode.

What I had in mind is something yet more generic:

1. preview.el abstracting away an API to toggle previews in
   buffer/region and display previews in separate buffer/echo area.
   It will provide customization on what kinds of previews are to be
   displayed; and the underlying backends will add themselves to some
   kind of hook that will do the actual work.

2. latex-preview.el with generic API to preview latex fragments in
   particular (or maybe even generic fragments that require to run
   convertor code -> image).

3. org-latex-preview with Org specific code.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,