Re: [possible patch] Remove the '\\[0pt]' string from the last line of a

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: [possible patch] Remove the '\\[0pt]' string from the last line of a verse block in LaTeX export
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 20:27:35 +0000

Ihor Radchenko writes:

> I see your point.
> Although I am still a bit hesitant to remove
> `org-latex-line-break-safe'.
> What would be the benefit of removing it? For now, I mostly just see
> that it will make the life harder for users in Scenario B.

It's a complicated situation, because we now have two solutions to the
same problem... It certainly sounds a bit abrupt to remove
org-latex-line-break-safe (at least for now). I see no problem in both
solutions coexisting. After all, the user can always give an "\\\\"
value to org-latex-line-break-safe. The other possibility is that
org-latex-line-break-safe is selectively deleted, as you mentioned in a
previous email. In tables and verse blocks, unless I'm missing
something, I think adding [0pt] would be unnecessary, with the new
solution.

> For verse blocks, AFAIU, even \\ is problematic. (Correct me if I am wrong)

>From the tests I have done, the problem of the vertical space being
altered after the verse environment only appears when the last line ends
in \\[0pt]. If it ends in \\ the problem does not appear. It is not
recommended that a verse environment ends in \\, but it does not seem to
influence the output. In fact, that was how it was in Org in the days
pre org-latex-line-break-safe and there were never any problems.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel