Re: Slowness of org-agenda-redo in org 9.7 vs 9.6.7

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Slowness of org-agenda-redo in org 9.7 vs 9.6.7
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 12:57:48 +0000

dark.key8799@151e.ai writes:

> I've been running 9.7 for a few weeks and I've noticed a slowdown in
> `org-agenda-redo'. I finally ran some benchmarks.

Thanks!

> I can reproduce it with a minimal org config (bare init.el with only
> straight.el and a short org config) with my full `org-agenda-files'
> (~450 files). In my regular conf, both are faster than the report
> below (I suppose because of gc collection parameters), about ~10s and
> ~1s respectively.
>
> Here's a truncated comparison of elp outputs

May you please redo the benchmarks using
1. M-x profiler-start <RET> cpu <RET>
2. Run agenda
3. M-x profiler-report
4. M-x profiler-report-write-profile <RET> profile.el <RET>
5. Share two saved profiles, repeating the above steps with newer and
   older Org mode.

ELP benchmarks on the whole Org mode are useless - they create huge
overheads on frequently called fast functions, completely messing up the
information.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,