Re: [BUG] org-element-at-point: Throw an error when not in org-mode [9.7

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] org-element-at-point: Throw an error when not in org-mode [9.7-pre (release_9.6.15-1033-gd8586f @ /home/marie/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)]
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 12:30:32 +0000

Marie-Helene Burle <mhburle@gmail.com> writes:

> I suspect that this has already been reported as I saw it here:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-elpa-diffs@gnu.org/msg102743.html.

This is just a reference to the commit that introduced the explicit
error. Do note that the error got downgraded to a warning in a more
recent development version of Org mode. But the warning still indicates
inappropriate usage of Org functions that are designed to work in Org
mode and expect Org mode buffer.

> Just wanted to make sure it got to the right channel. Apologies for a
> useless message if it already did.
>
> Noticed this problem with org 9.7. Used to be no problem with prior version.
>
> Also mentioned in
> https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/18gkx0i/orgelementatpoint_cannot_be_used_in_nonorg_buffer/.

> In my case, I get the error when using `org-meta-return` in non-org buffers.

> I then get either of these error messages:
>
> Warning (org-element): ‘org-element-at-point’ cannot be used in non-Org buffer
> Warning (org-element): org-element--cache: Org parser error in <my-file>.
> Resetting.

`org-meta-return' cannot be used in non-Org buffers. Just as the error
states. May you please explain why you are trying to use Org mode
command outside Org mode?

Not a bug, although we can still discuss your use case.
Canceled. (as a bug)

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,