Re: [POLL] Should we accept breaking changes to get rid of Org libraries

From: spookygostee
Subject: Re: [POLL] Should we accept breaking changes to get rid of Org libraries that perform side effects when loading?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 21:48:52 -0500

Russell Adams <RLAdams@adamsinfoserv.com> writes:

>> > I think Markdown has different levels?
>>
>> Do you mean # title vs. ## title?
>
> <https://www.markdownguide.org/basic-syntax>
>
> look at the alternate syntax where they under line with different symbols.
>
>> > Has there ever been a reason to diversify the heading syntax to allow
>> > levels or changes in visibility?
>> >
>> > ** TODO
>> >
>> > `=' TODO Inline item under todo
>> >
>> > — DONE something else?
>> >
>> > ### TODO invis to all except interactive editing
>>
>> That’s even more features. I feel confused about what you are trying to
>> convey.
>
> It is, but it’s just brainstorming along the lines of needing an
> inline task syntax.
>
> We have a solid heading syntax, with one or more asterisks followed by
> keywords and heading metadata. Given we’re talking about adding more
> flags in the metadata, I’m just asking if we should consider
> alternatives to just asterisks to help indicate differences.
>
> An inline task exempt from folding should be eye catching to
> differentiate it from other headings. Perhaps something other than
> asterisks is appropriate?

> Russell Adams                            RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.com
>                                     <https://www.adamsinfoserv.com/>

As someone who only uses orgmode, I personally find the logical distinction
between inline and normal headings not compelling enough to justify adding new
syntax besides asterisks. Frequently I hear orgmode’s extremely simple syntax
lauded in comparison to something like markdown. Just some thoughts.

–shortcut