Re: [MAINTENANCE] Org orphanage?

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [MAINTENANCE] Org orphanage?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 07:46:37 +0000

Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st> writes:

> Hi all; I added worg co-curator krupalinbox to CC.

I think you did not. I added him now.

> I would be happy to help with administration here.   I have a GitHub
> account, as well as commit on bastian's sr.ht.
>
> In fact, I wonder if worg curators should have some general
> responsibilities to help with the orphanage.
>
> Speaking for myself, I can help:
> - send the various "let me know" emails discussed in this thread

I am not sure if I understand. May you elaborate?

> - suggest packages that need love to (prospective) volunteers

Do you have any specific packages in mind?

> - review the bonafides (experience/involvement and, via Eli/SM,
> assignment status ) for prospective adopting maintainers

Not sure about emacsorphanage side, but for things we decide to manage
on sr.ht, we can all discuss new maintainers on this mailing list. The
maintenance requests should also go here.

We may need to update https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html,
similar to:

    Maintain an Org file: If a file in the git repository does not have a
    maintainer 1 and you want to help by maintaining it, please read more on
    how Org is maintained and let us know by sending an email to the mailing
    list.

but for orphaned packages specifically.

The information about how to apply to be a maintainer may also be added
to org-orphanage WORG page.

> - assign permissions
> - move repos
> - apply well tested patches to orphaned packages

I think you can participate in issue discussion for the existing
orphaned packages first. (The problem is that you do not have a record
contributing to Emacs/Org mode. I can only see two trivial commits
64d211179db and a70a3449417 in Emacs)

> Irrespective of whether worg curators should help with this (or some
> other vols, or just the org maintainers, or...), I think it would make
> sense to document these "responsibilities" (and the detail of the
> plans made in this thread, in general), along with the whos and hows.

+1

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,