Inconvenient end-of-file behavior in org-mode 9.6 (emacs 29.1)

From: Kaiyu Zheng
Subject: Inconvenient end-of-file behavior in org-mode 9.6 (emacs 29.1)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 09:19:10 -0400

Dear Org-mode maintainers,

Org-mode has been fantastic. However, in the most recent release as
part of emacs 29.1, I am experiencing an inconvenience that made me
switch back to 28.3.  (I learned from this page
https://irreal.org/blog/?p=10982 that emacs 29.1 released org-mode
9.6).

The issue is: let's say I have a simple org-mode file, and let's say
the cursor starts at the top of the file (marked by '|'):

|* Sec1
** SubSec1
** SubSec2

In 28.3 and before, when I do `M->`, and hit 'Enter', I get to the end
of file on a new line outside of SubSec2, like so:

* Sec1
** SubSec1
** SubSec2

And now I could type `** SubSec3` to add a new section like below:

* Sec1
** SubSec1
** SubSec2
** SubSec3|

But in 29.1, when I do the same sequence, the cursor is "trapped" in
SubSec2, and I had to expand SubSec2 first in order to see what I'm
typing. I don't like this behavior -- I wonder why it is this way in
the new version. How is this better? Could we revert back?

Now, you could argue that I should type in the keybinding for
inserting the subsection instead of doing this manually. But I simply
don't remember (and never tried remembering) the keybinding for adding
a new section -- I don't think I'm wrong by not remembering that
keybinding. I was able to do what I wanted before in a simple and
natural way.

I hope my concern is valid.

Best,
Kaiyu