Re: [POLL] Should we accept breaking changes to get rid of Org libraries

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [POLL] Should we accept breaking changes to get rid of Org libraries that perform side effects when loading?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 10:24:58 +0000

Tom Gillespie <tgbugs@gmail.com> writes:

>> Any other ideas? I'd be happy to see some brain-storming.
>
> Maybe a #+keyword[options]: that doubles as a dynamic block or
> something like that?
> #+inline_task[options]: TODO some tiny task
> #+inline_task[options]: TODO some small task
> DEADLINE: <2023-11-11>
> :PROPERTIES:
> :SOMETHING: or other
> :END:
> #+inline_task_end:

I am not sure if I like [options]. If we support property drawer, why
would we need additional options? I'd rather stick closer to the heading
syntax (but without that 15x****... madness).

I also _slightly_ do not like #+... syntax because I expect some
interference with fontification code for "meta lines".

> Migration path should be straight forward, the exact implementation of
> the behavior might need
> a bit of work, and I'm not sure that the scheduling line will work in
> that context, it is too fart
> outside the usual behavior for keywords. However it might be possible
> to move the deadline into [options]
> the syntax would be a bit different than regular scheduling lines, but
> it would at least be consistent
> with keyword syntax.

It would actually be a headache to move planning into options.
A number of places in Org hard-code planning line regexp and will have
to be modified significantly to accommodate [options]. In particular, I
have org-agenda in mind (the place I rarely dare to touch)

> The other question is whether you actually need an #+inline_task_end:
> or whether there is another way.

Another idea might be similar to footnote definitions that mark their
end with double blank line. But I do not like footnote definition syntax
because it makes it impossible to have something like

[fn:1] Footnote definition containing src block
#+begin_src elisp
"This has

two newlines and not an src block anymore because
footnote definition ending takes precedence"
#+end_src

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,