Re: org-bibtex-yank failing with error Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

From: Jeremias Gonzalez
Subject: Re: org-bibtex-yank failing with error Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 08:30:28 -0700

On Sun, Aug 13, 2023 at 12:57 AM Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:
"J. G." <jerzor@pacbell.net> writes:

> Adding the following two lines to my init fixes the error in my case:
> (require 'bibtex)(bibtex-set-dialect 'biblatex nil)

Do I understand correctly that you attempted to run org-bibtex-read from
a non-bibtex buffer?

At a top level, I was using org-bibtex-yank with an org buffer (and in my ideal case with no bibtex buffers whatsoever) as the documentation for that function only requires bibtex to be in the kill ring. However, yes, org-bibtex-yank calls org-bibtex-read, and I was doing so (in the ideal case) with a non-bibtex buffer.