Re: [BUG] Issues in ol-gnus when storing links in nnvirtual and nnselect

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] Issues in ol-gnus when storing links in nnvirtual and nnselect articles [9.7-pre (release_9.6.7-570-gd6f3ae.dirty @ /home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/)]
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 07:16:28 +0000

Jens Schmidt <jschmidt4gnu@vodafonemail.de> writes:

>  > Ideally, it would be nice to have tests, though I have no clue how to
>  > approach writing them.
>
> I have created a somewhat minimal Gnus setup to develop and test this
> patch on my development laptop, where I normally do not use Gnus.  It
> consists of a bunch of files and directories and a bit of configuration.
> I can follow up on this if you like, but preferably in a separate
> thread.

That would be welcome. Thanks in advance!

>  >> Probably it would be enough to wrap the whole containing `let*' in a
>  >> (with-current-buffer gnus-summary-buffer ...). If we're already in the
>  >> summary buffer, no harm done.
>  >
>  > I am not sure if it is safe.
>  > There is
>  > (save-window-excursion (gnus-summary-select-article))
>  > which calls (set-buffer gnus-summary-buffer)
>
> I agree with Ihor here and would rather go for individual wraps into
> `with-current-buffer'.  As I have done in my patch already,
> incidentially.

Ok. Then, if no further objections, I will apply the patch tomorrow.

>  > ol-gnus should store link for thing at point in current buffer. Ideally,
>  > without side effects. Everything else should be implementation detail.
>
> Could we agree on: ol-gnus should store Gnus links with as little effort
> and side-effect as possible while providing reasonable functionality for
> the common use cases.  I think, again incidentially, that my patch
> matches this criterion.
>
> What optionally could be improved, though, is error handling in these
> pathological cases.  But that would probably require some macro
>
>    (ol-gnus-with-current-summary-buffer BODY)
>
> to have the error handling available in the separate places.  Not sure
> whether this is worth the effort.

We haven't had many bug reports about ol-gnus in the past, so I do not
have much statistics on whether getting such errors is common.

I do not think that implementing error handling is worth an effort here.
If killing summary buffer is already calling for trouble when using
Gnus itself, Org mode handling the error will not make things much
better.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,