Re: [BUG] Issues in ol-gnus when storing links in nnvirtual and nnselect

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] Issues in ol-gnus when storing links in nnvirtual and nnselect articles [9.7-pre (release_9.6.7-570-gd6f3ae.dirty @ /home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/)]
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 06:45:32 +0000

> We should definitely be using the paradigm above (using the
> gnus-summary-buffer as the current buffer). The article number fetching
> only works by accident in the article buffer, and other stuff (like
> finding the original nnselect group name) won't work at all.

I am convinced then.
Ideally, it would be nice to have tests, though I have no clue how to
approach writing them.

> Later in the function we've got this:
>
> (save-window-excursion
>   (save-excursion
>     (gnus-article-show-summary)
>     (gnus-summary-article-header)))
>
> If we're currently in article-mode. The call to
> `gnus-article-show-summary' would protect against the case where the
> summary buffer has been killed in the meantime, but I agree that's kind
> of a pathological case.

I'd say that the patch will be an improvement anyway.

> Probably it would be enough to wrap the whole containing `let*' in a
> (with-current-buffer gnus-summary-buffer ...). If we're already in the
> summary buffer, no harm done.

I am not sure if it is safe.
There is
(save-window-excursion (gnus-summary-select-article))
which calls (set-buffer gnus-summary-buffer)

`with-current-buffer' will certainly alter how things work (although,
switching buffer when capturing link is already fishy).

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,