inconsistency links and code line labels

From: Dan Drake
Subject: inconsistency links and code line labels
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 07:49:59 -0500

Hello -- I'm wondering about my question from here:

https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/77768/why-the-inconsistency-with-org-mode-code-line-labels-and-links

Copying my question: in a source code special block, I can add code line labels, which have ref: in the label -- but when I make a link there, I have to omit the ref:. For example:

#+begin_src csharp
1044 string foo = someFunction(1234);
1045 if (foo == "1")
1046 {
1047     bar = 5; //  (ref:my-code-line-label)
1048 }
// etc etc
#+end_src

There's a bug [[(my-code-line-label)][right here]].

This seems inconsistent. Why do I have to omit the ref: bit? This always confuses me; it seems like it would be simpler to just make the label and the links to that line of code be exactly the same. I don't see any particular reference to this in the org manual (https://orgmode.org/manual/Internal-Links.html). Any insights?

My idea would be to get rid of the special behavior for code line labels and just make this work with dedicated targets: in regular parts of my org file, I use <<link-target>> and can make links to that. It would be simple and consistent to make that also work the same when <<link-target>> is inside a code block.

Thanks!

--
Ceci n'est pas une .signature.