Re: exporting to PDF multi-lingual document

From: Stefan Nobis
Subject: Re: exporting to PDF multi-lingual document
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2023 07:46:26 +0200

> Though ideally all the necessary fonts should be provided by
> TeXLive. I am not sure why they are not yet there in 2023.

First problem: Is there any free/libre font out there that has a
really broad and comprehensive coverage of Unicode glyphs? I really
don't know, but from time to time I hear about fonts that I assumed to
have good Unicode coverage that this is not the case (e.g. TeX Gyre).
I think, it is just an enormous amount of work to produce a complete
Unicode font (even more so, if it should look nice).

The other problem: Not everyone does a full installation of TeX Live.
So even if good fonts are available, they are not always installed on
every system (but this part could be mitigated by documentation and/or
error messages and hints).

But I'm no Unicode or font expert (I only need latin letters). I'm
just impressed what is already possible and about all the work done by
volunteers. And sometimes I'm astonished by how much work is still to
do for a complete and smooth Unicode experience. :)

--
Until the next mail...,
Stefan.