Re: exporting to PDF multi-lingual document

From: Stefan Nobis
Subject: Re: exporting to PDF multi-lingual document
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2023 17:07:21 +0200

> The downside of lualatex is that it is slower:
> https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/87a69j9c6s.fsf@localhost/

Yes, for sure. But I have the impression that newer versions of luatex
have become a bit faster (maybe it's just a subjective impression that
I want to be true, because I don't want to regret the complete switch
to luatex). :)

On the other hand: Luatex is much more flexible and has better support
for modern fonts and modern font render engines.

It depends what one assumes to be the most common use case for Org. If
it's many rather short and simple documents then pdftex should suffice
most of the time and the fast compile speed will matter. If we want to
support as many different situations out of the box, I think luatex
would be the better/easier way - at the cost of slower compilation
speeds.

Another approach: Use pdftex for simple/short documents and make
selection of luatex as backend engine per document as easy as
possible. Additionally, we might try to detect situations in which
luatex would be the better choice (e.g. certain languages). But this
would certainly be more work and lead to more complex code.

--
Until the next mail...,
Stefan.