Re: [O] Org can't export inline image link to PDF

From: Vladimir Lomov
Subject: Re: [O] Org can't export inline image link to PDF
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 21:38:38 +0800

Hello,

** stardiviner [2019-02-23 18:19:05 +0800]:

[...]

>>> I checked the =Resume.tex= file. The raw latex is this:
>>>
>>> #+begin_src latex
>>> \begin{center}
>>> \includegraphics[width=2.0in]{data/images/me_picture 23.jpg}
>>> \end{center}
>>> #+end_src
>>>
>>> No "23.bb", I search over the whole TeX file, nothing found. But the
>>> compiled PDF file still have "23.bb".
>>
>> May be you find what '.bb' file is if you look into the 'graphics'
>> package documentation (assuming that you use TeX Live run 'texdoc
>> graphicx', in my local copy on page 13 there is example of .bb file,
>> search the document for .ps.bb).
>>
>> As for spaces in file name, if you cannot avoid them use 'grffile'
>> package with 'graphicx' package.
>
> I have not found '.bb' files. Neither '.ps.bb' files. I checked out variable
> ~org-latex-packages-alist~, it have 'grffile' and 'graphicx' packages.

>> P.S. The question how the .bb file comes on scene completely related how
>> LaTeX works with graphic file. Look into documentation or ask question
>> on TeX.SO or on texhax mailing list.

The LaTeX cannot work directly with graphic files. In past when only
latex and dvips were existed a user was able to use only PS/EPS graphic
files. latex can work with any graphic files using graphics/graphicx
package. One of the purpose of the package is to provide to latex
information about the size of a figure (Bounding Box) what is found in
EPS file. Sometimes EPS files were gzipped but latex was unable on-fly
decompress them and extract BB information. The workaround for this
situation is to either provide bb keyword for '\includegraphics' command
or create file with extension .eps.bb which will hold necessary
information. Actual inclusion of graphic file was done by dvips program.

Nowadays almost everyone uses pdflatex/xelatex/luatex engines. They use
graphic files in format PDF (native), PNG, JPEG. In most situations the
engine could determine the size of a figure but when it fails it will
include the figure with wrong size.

The problem that you faced is a bit another, while it is looked as being
related to missing BB (bounding box): the latex engine don't like the
space in file name. pdflatex engine being run in special mode don't stop
on missing file but show you information about missing .bb file. A
workaround to use graphic files with spaces in file name is to use
package 'grffile'. Note, however, this workaround is only for graphic
files and don't work to input other LaTeX files with spaces in they
filenames into current one.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--