Re: [O] Making DocBook xml books from org mode?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [O] Making DocBook xml books from org mode?
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 11:37:37 +0200

On 2016-09-29, at 20:04, Peter Davis <address@hidden> wrote:

> I've started a new position in which I have to create and maintain a
> large set of documents in DocBook xml format. For new books, I'd really
> like to use org mode, since a) I'm already familiar with it, b) I love
> it, and c) I believe it does (or can be made to do) nearly everything I
> need.

Nice.  Of many things XML is ill-suited to, marking text up is a nice
exception: it seems really good at it (definitely way better than LaTeX,
of which I'm a great fan!).

>  3. The direct route from org to DocBook xml seems to be missing. From

Why not start with the HTML exporter and write your own one?  It's quite
fun, and can be done in reasonable time.

I did a talk about writing your own Org exporter during EmacsConf 2015;
also, I had a plan (and I even started) for a series of blog posts on
that topic, but I don't have time for that now.  Still, you might want
to pursue this road - you'd have (as opposed to Pandoc, which admittedly
is a great tool, but has its limitations, as Joost mentioned) full
control over what get exported to what.

>  4. [LONGSHOT] Is there any way to /import/ docbook xml into org mode?

XSLT?

> Thank you very much.
>
> -pd

Hth,