[O] xwidgets

From: William Denton
Subject: [O] xwidgets
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 11:31:31 -0400 (EDT)

Emacs 25.1 supports xwidgets, which Mickey Petersen explains as [1]:

This is a really cool feature. You can embed other widgets inside Emacs buffers. It’s a feature that Windows users will handily recognize as OLE integration – a staple feature of Windows since the 90s. This feature is more limited, however, as it only works with GTK.

For now there is just one feature that makes use of this: the Webkit browser integration. You can now browse web pages with webkit inside Emacs. The feature – having played with it a lot – is in the very early stages still. I would consider it alpha quality, but with it integrated into Emacs progress is likely to be swift.

Is anyone thinking about how this could (should? would?) be used in Org? It struck me that this could lead to Org being able to do more interactive things with sliders like Jupyter notebooks and RStudio (for R) allow.

Whether that's a good thing to do, or indeed possible, I don't know, but I'm curious to know if anyone's got ideas about how xwidgets might be used in Org, if they're hacking on it, etc.

Cheers,

Bill

[1] https://masteringemacs.org/article/whats-new-in-emacs-25-1

--