Re: [O] working with tables can be quite painful...

From: Michael Welle
Subject: Re: [O] working with tables can be quite painful...
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 14:58:01 +0200

Hello,

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

> On Saturday, 17 Sep 2016 at 08:48, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Could you send a profiler report so that I can get a better glimpse on
>> what part of `org-table-align' is lagging?
>
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> this morning, working on the same table is much less painful.  I've run

> the profile and did some movements and changes to the table and here is
> the output from the profiler (I can send you the full report if you
> wish).
>
> I know that if I narrow the buffer to just the section (headline and
> contents) that contains the table, the performance is
> better. Anecdotally, it would seem that the performance degrades over
> time so I wonder if there is a cache issue?
the output of your profiler run doesn't ring a bell, but a few years ago
I had the problem that after some uptime (my Emacs uptime is typical
several days, up to a few weeks) Org operations like building the agenda
became sloooow. Restarting Emacs fixed that, until the problem occurred
again after some time.

If I remember correctly I asked the list for advise. But it looked like
one of these problems only I have ;). Maybe some other lisp package had
its hands in the game, I don't know. Eventually, after some Emacs, Org
and other updates the problem was gone.

As I said, I don't think, you suffer from the same problem. But you said
you don't use the newest software versions, so just in case.

Regards
hmw