Re: [O] working with tables can be quite painful...

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] working with tables can be quite painful...
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 09:36:55 +0100

On Saturday, 17 Sep 2016 at 15:37, Michael Brand wrote:
> Hi Eric
>
> Question, out of curiosity: Is there a difference when you delete all lines
> above and below the table, with and without adding a headline above?

Hi Michael,

Maybe.  I know that org's performance improves when I narrow the buffer
to just the section I am working on, when I work on long documents so
the lines above and below the table may affect things.

> One of my tables fluctuates around 150 rows and around 20 to 40
> columns, overall a few hundred characters wide (columns with some
> history window for each row). Almost all fields are just text although
> I think this doesn't matter at all. The table starts at about line 50
> and is followed by about 7600 lines. Since years I manipulate it at
> least every few days without any slowness, often on much weaker
> hardware than yours.

How long do you spend manipulating the table at any one time?  I have an
impression that performance degrades over time in a single session.  But
I have no evidence for this.  It's just an impression.

thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.94.1, Org release_8.3.5-1070-g190476