Re: [O] Suggestion: Export templates: use drawers to group

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] Suggestion: Export templates: use drawers to group
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 09:12:51 +0200

> Hello,
>
> Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> If I have many headers in a document, it is easy to loose the overview
>> for me.
>>
>> So I started to use drawers:

>> :END:
>>
>> :LATEX:
>> :END:
>>
>> :BABEL:
>> :END:
>>
>> and have only the "standard" content type options open (DESCRIPTION,
>> KEYWORDS, SUBTITLE, DATE, AUTHOR, ...)
>>
>> Would this be something to include into the templates which can be
>> inserted (C-e C-L #)? This would make it much easier to work with these
>> options.
>
> Do you suggest that `org-export-insert-default-template' should group
> options within drawers by default?

Yes - that was my idea.

> If so, I'm not too keen of the idea of imposing drawers to the user.

My reasoning is that it makes organizing options easier and that users
get introduced into the idea of using dawers.

> Besides, templates are already separated by back-end so you can insert
> them within pre-created drawers already.

True - it is not difficult, but might be more intuitive and lead to
easier readable options.

> There is no "babel" or "options" category, though. I guess we could
> create them, if needed.

No - I don't think they are needed, as there are many different use
cases for babel - but thinking about it, it might be an idea to insert
the most widely used options for babel and set them at their default
values - so documents become more robust and the options become
introduced to the user.

Cheers,

Rainer

--