Re: [O] How to populate a 'list of figures'?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] How to populate a 'list of figures'?
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2016 16:13:17 -0400

Sharon Kimble <address@hidden> writes:

> Peter Frings <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> On 07 Sep 2016, at 12:52, Sharon Kimble <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>

>>> I'm having great difficulty in being able to generate and populate a
>>> 'list of figures' in my orgmode-2-latex document. I currently have this
>>> as a figure in my org-mode file -
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> However, when I generate the pdf using xelatex all that it shows for my
>>> list of figures is 'List of Figures'!
>>>
>>> So how can I get the list of figures to be populated please?
>>
>> To get the list of figures (or any other reference, for that matter), you
>> have to typeset your
>> document twice. The first time, tex build a list of figures (in a separate
>> file, with .lof
>> extension); the second time, it inserts that list where the \listoffigures{}
>> is. This is common to
>> tex: you have to typeset twice to get the references and lists correct.
>>

> Thanks Peter. But I'm typesetting it at least three times. But its just
> not building the list of figures.
>
> However, if I run 'mklatex' on my source file it generates a 'foo.lof',
> but doesn't actually populate the 'list of figures'! And 'mklatex'
> doesn't finish either! But then I'm just learning how to actually use
> it.

I start with a lof.org file that looks like this (I deleted your citation
and changed the path of the image since I don't have either of those locally):

#+LATEX: \listoffigures{}

* Foo

Some text.

#+CAPTION: The four principles of person-centred care
#+ATTR_LaTeX: :width 0.5\textwidth :float t :placement [H]
#+LABEL: fig:four-principles
[[../images/one.png]]

Some more text.
* Bar

I exported and got this:

% Created 2016-09-07 Wed 15:59
% Intended LaTeX compiler: pdflatex
\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{grffile}
\usepackage{longtable}
\usepackage{wrapfig}
\usepackage{rotating}
\usepackage[normalem]{ulem}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{capt-of}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\usepackage{minted}
\author{Nick Dokos}
\date{\today}
\title{}
\hypersetup{
 pdfauthor={Nick Dokos},
 pdftitle={},
 pdfkeywords={},
 pdfsubject={},
 pdfcreator={Emacs 25.1.50.1 (Org mode 8.3.5)},
 pdflang={English}}
\begin{document}

\tableofcontents

\listoffigures{}

\section{Foo}
\label{sec:org8f4d5cc}

Some text.

\begin{figure}[H]
\centering
\includegraphics[width=0.5\textwidth]{../images/one.png}
\caption{\label{fig:org0cc86dc}
The four principles of person-centred care}
\end{figure}

Some more text.
\section{Bar}
\label{sec:orgb6d5c42}
\end{document}

Then xelatex'ed twice (shell escape is for minted - you may not need it):

   xelatex --shell-escape lof.tex
   # at this point, lof.lof and lof.toc exist and lof.lof contains
   # \contentsline {figure}{\numberline {1}{\ignorespaces The four principles
of person-centred care}}{1}{figure.1}
   # then again to incorporate them into the output
   xelatex --shell-escape lof.tex

The list of figures is present and complete (see attached PDF).

If that does not work for you, where exactly does it break?

--
Nick