Re: [O] Can't store link in mu4e

From: Brett Presnell
Subject: Re: [O] Can't store link in mu4e
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2016 15:39:32 -0400

> Brett Presnell <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'll report this to the mu developer in case he isn't already aware of
>> the upcoming change in org mode.  I wonder if org-mu4e.el wouldn't be
>> better maintained as a part of org (like org-gnus.el and org-mew.el)
>> rather than as a part of mu4e.
>
> "org-new.el" is not part of Org, but belongs to third-party "contrib/"
> directory.
>
> Besides, mu4e, AFAIK, is not part part of Emacs.

Yes, I realized before I contacted the mu developer that I should have
said "as part of contrib", like org-mew.el, org-notmuch.el, org-vm.el,
and org-wl.el (and unlike org-gnus.el, org-mhe.el, and org-rmail.el,
which correspond to email clients distributed with emacs).  I suppose
that the contrib stuff wouldn't be installed in a standard installation
of org, but I thought that it might give the mu developer a way to
attach org-mu4e.el to the relevant version of org.  Maybe this is a bad
idea, but he already includes org-mu4e.el and org-old-mu4e.el, and now
he's going to need to add another I guess, which seems suboptimal.

> It may make sense to distribute it through GNU Elpa instead of packaging
> it with mu4e itself, tho.

That's a thought.

Irrelevant aside: It's remarkable to me how important emacs has been to
my life.  For example, since 1990 I have used, in order, rmail, mhe, vm,
gnus, and now mu4e, each for at least several years before switching to
the next.  I probably used gnus the longest (I had also used it in the
1980s and early 1990s to read usenet), and I only switched to mu4e
because: (1) my work email was moved to MS Exchange whose IMAP server
was practically unusable with gnus's IMAP implementation; and (2) my
work responsibilities changed so that I needed to be able to search
quickly through a ton of email, which mu is very good at.  The changed
work responsibilities also forced me to finally get more serious about
org, and creating links to email messages and using org-capture to
create TODOs that link back to email messages is an important part of
that.

Maybe this is a good time to thank everyone who has contributed to org
mode.  While I'll admit to some occassional frustrations, it's a great
tool and I don't know what I would have done without it over the past
few years.  Thanks for making it.