Re: [O] org-depend: dependencies between TODO entries in different files

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] org-depend: dependencies between TODO entries in different files
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 16:44:15 +0200

Hello,

Karl Voit <address@hidden> writes:

> On [1] LinuxFag asked why org-depend.el does not work with
> dependencies of headings in different Org-mode files. This is also a
> very annoying limitation to me since I have many Org-mode files in
> my org-agenda-files and I also don't want to limit myself to use
> dependencies within a single file only.
>
> I analyzed my situation in the code:
>
>     Org-mode version 8.3.4 (release_8.3.4-33-gd522fc)
>     org-depend.el Version: 0.08
>
> Function org-depend-block-todo uses org-find-entry-with-id (from
> org.el) which is using org-find-property which starts with
> (goto-char (point-min)) not jumping to any other org-mode buffer.
>

> Is there a reason behind this design choice?

What design choice?

1. That `org-find-property' only searches in the current document?

2. That `org-depend-block-todo' uses `org-find-entry-with-id' instead of
   e.g., `org-id-find'?

Property API assumes properties are local to the document. When you
search for property "FOO", it means "FOO" in the current buffer, not
"FOO" is some other random Org file somewhere in your hard-disk.

ID property is special for that matter. Whenever Org sets such
a property, it updates a location database (which means ID properties
shouldn't be changed "manually"). So, ID property can efficiently be
used to refer to remote documents.

As a consequence, it may be useful to use `org-id-find' and fall-back to
`org-find-property' in `org-depend-block-todo'.

> Who is the current maintainer of org-depend.el? Carsten ist listed
> as author in the header.

I guess nobody. Do you want to take care of it?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou