Re: [O] Emacs+org on Windows 7 pro

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] Emacs+org on Windows 7 pro
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 15:07:40 -0400

The idea in scimax for windows is to include an Emacs git submodule. See https://github.com/jkitchin/scimax/blob/master/install-scimax-win.sh for how I suggest to install it. Assuming you have git installed, you can run:
bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jkitchin/scimax/master/install-scimax-win.sh)"

and it will download everything for you.

On completion, there is some helm, and some ivy. You can configure it as you see fit. There are some things I like about each one.

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Axel Kielhorn <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am 23.08.2016 um 20:06 schrieb John Kitchin <address@hidden>:
>

> Axel Kielhorn writes:
>
>>> Am 23.08.2016 um 00:13 schrieb John Kitchin <address@hidden>:
>>>
>>> Checkout http://github.com/jkitchin/scimax. With git installed it will install an opinionatedly configured Emacs. Most of my students use it. I would just have each user install it.
>>
>> I’m using a modified jmax right now.
>> Should I switch to scimax?
>> Anything I should look out for?
>>

> They are largely the same. The scimax repo does not have emacs in it
> anymore,

That is good (don’t need it on non-Windows platforms) and bad (Now I have to get one for windows from somewhere else, maybe jmax?.)

> so it is a lot smaller. scimax tends to use ivy more than helm
> for completion.

All these different completion packages irritate me.
I’m using some helm, let’s see how it works with ivy.
(Luckily I have two 24“ monitors, a lot of room to place notes to remind me of new commands.[1])

> scimax uses use-package for the most part to install
> packages, but I think most of the functionality is the same though.
>
> The good news is, jmax is finally stable ;)

I’m an org user, I love moving targets:-)

>> Can I simply move my user folder and continue?
>
> Probably this should work.

I’ll give it a try[2].

Axel

[1] Note to self: Buy some 3M stock.
[2] Another automator icon on the desktop.