Re: [O] How to safely update from ver. 8.2.10 to 8.3.x

From: Cook, Malcolm
Subject: Re: [O] How to safely update from ver. 8.2.10 to 8.3.x
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 17:29:04 +0000

> this weekend I got through lots of troubles, because I updated my
 > orgmode version with "manage emacs packages" menu command and
 > somehow
 > got mixed preferences.
 >
 > Now, after a clean install, I have org mode 8.2.10 and would like to
 > update to version 8.3.x (20160808) which is shown under the menu
 > command
 > "manage emacs packages".
 >
 > How can I do this safely, without creating a mess again?

Here's what I do, at the shell:

          emacs -Q -batch -eval "(progn (require 'package) (add-to-list
'package-archives '(\"org\" . \"http://orgmode.org/elpa/\";))
(package-initialize) (package-refresh-contents) (package-install
'org-plus-contrib))"

This assures that org is not already loaded when org is compiled, which I've
learned is the source of creating a mess.

Note: I use org-plus-contrib from melpa instead of org.  If you want just org,
you could simply:

          emacs -Q -batch -eval "(progn (require 'package) (package-initialize)
(package-refresh-contents) (package-install 'org-plus-contrib))"

HTH,

Malcolm