[O] Echo heading hierarchy at point

From: Roelli, Charles A
Subject: [O] Echo heading hierarchy at point
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 09:56:20 +0000

Sent this in a few days ago, and it does not seem to have gone through:

-------

If I have this structure, with point marked by the "$":

* Heading Level 1
** Heading Level 2
<normal text here>$

Is there a way to have the current place in the outline [Heading Level 1 =>
Heading Level 2] temporarily echoed in the minibuffer? Also important is that
the point shouldn't have to be on the heading title for it to work.

At the moment I am using 'which-function-mode' to accomplish something similar:
it displays the current subheading in the mode line. However it relies on Imenu
(so it needs to be rescanned when new headings are added). If anybody knows a
better way I would be interested in hearing about it.

Cheers,
Charles