[O] bug#23917: Please consider making Bug #23917 a blocker for 25.1 (was

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [O] bug#23917: Please consider making Bug #23917 a blocker for 25.1 (was Re: org-capture: Capture template ‘g’: Match data clobbered by buffer modification hooks)
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 14:19:59 -0400

> Is it OK to adjust the match data before actually making the
> replacement?  If so, I think it's a simpler solution.
>> PS: I can think of one (theoretical) other/better way to fix this
>> problem: move the match-data adjustment so it's done within
>> replace_range before running the after-change-functions.
> Isn't that almost the same as what Noam suggested?

Yes, it's the same.  And yes, I like the idea, but I just don't know
what it would look like as a patch.  I have the impression that it could
prove either expensive in CPU time and backward incompatible
(e.g. adjust markers for every buffer modification), or require
extensive code surgery and/or breaking some abstractions.

This is just an impression, tho.  I think it'd definitely be the better
solution, so it's worth investigating anyway, if only for "master" rather
than for "emacs-25".

        Stefan