Re: [O] links-9.0 v3

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] links-9.0 v3
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 19:06:08 -0400

Thanks. I responded to some below. I didn't respond to all of them. I
will revise the commits accordingly and send a new version.

Nicolas Goaziou writes:

> Hello,
>
> John Kitchin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Your version doesn't let you add properties to links with no
>> existing properties, e.g. ("http")
>
> There was a typo (spurious `cdr'), the correct version is
>
>   (defun org-link-set-parameters (type &rest parameters)
>     "Set link TYPE properties to PARAMETERS.
>   PARAMETERS should be :key val pairs."
>     (let ((data (assoc type org-link-parameters)))
>       (if data (setcdr data (org-combine-plists (cdr data) parameters))
>         (push (cons type parameters) org-link-parameters)
>         (org-make-link-regexps)
>         (org-element-update-syntax))))
>
>> and it also didn't work as expected to set properties to nil.

I will give this a try.

> Not sure to understand what you mean here. Could you give an example?

If I ran the previous function a few times like this

(org-link-set-parameters "http" :follow nil)

I would get
("http" :follow :follow nil nil nil...)

probably because of the bug. I will let you know if it works.

>> I think I have squashed everything together that makes sense. Let me
>> know if you have further thoughts.
>
> OK. Some comments follow.
>
>> +{{{noindent}}} In-buffer completion (see [[Completion]]) can be used
>> +after {{{samp([)}}} to complete link abbreviations.  You may also
>> +define a function that implements special (e.g., completion) support
>> +for inserting such a link with {{{kbd(C-c C-l)}}}.  Such a function
>> +should not accept any arguments, and return the full link with
>> +prefix. You can set the link completion function like this:
>
> Mind the spaces after sentences.
I will fix these.

> In any case, updating contrib manual is not top priority, since many
> section needs to be updated anyway.
>
>> +[fn:37] This works if a function has been defined in the :complete
>> +property of a link in org-link-parameters.
>
> ~org-link-parameters~
>
>> -(org-add-link-type "id" 'org-id-open)
>> +(org-link-set-parameters "id" :follow 'org-id-open)
>
> Nitpick: #'org-id-open
>
>> -(add-hook 'org-store-link-functions 'org-w3m-store-link)
>> +(org-link-set-parameters "w3m" :store 'org-w3m-store-link)
>
> #'org-w3m-store-link
>
> You get the idea, I will not comment the other occurrences.

Just to make sure I get it, all functions should be sharp quoted like this?

>> +       (type (save-match-data
>> +               (if (string-match org-plain-link-re hl)
>> +                   (match-string-no-properties 1 hl)
>> +                 nil)))
>
> Nitpick
>
>   (save-match-data
>     (and (string-match org-plain-link-re hl)
>          (match-string-no-properties 1 hl)))
>
>> +       (path (save-match-data
>> +               (if (string-match org-plain-link-re hl)
>> +                   (match-string-no-properties 2 hl)
>> +                 nil)))
>
> Ditto.

ok

>> -           ((assoc type org-link-parameters)
>> +           ((and (assoc type org-link-parameters)
>> +                 (functionp (org-link-get-parameter type :follow)))
>
> I think (functionp ...) is sufficient, no need for the `and' and
> (assoc type org-link-parameters), which `org-link-get-parameters'
> already takes case of.  So
>
>   ((functionp (org-link-get-parameters type :follow)
>    ...)
>
>>     * lisp/org.el: Replace the variable `org-store-link-functions' with a
>>       function by the same name.
>
> You need to add the name of the function being modified.
>
>>     Update org-add-link-type
>>
>>     * lisp/org.el org-add-link-type: deprecated and now calls
>>       `org-link-add'.
>>
>>     Create a new `org-link-add' function for making links.
>
> You probably mean `org-link-set-parameters', since `org-link-add' would
> be but a lesser version of the former.
>
>> +  (org-link-add type :follow follow :export export)
>
> See above.
>
>> +(defun org-store-link-functions ()
>> +  "Returns a list of functions that are called to create and store a link.
>> +The functions in the variable `org-store-link-functions' come
>> +first. These may be user-defined for different contexts. Then
>> +comes the functions defined in the :store property of
>> +org-link-parameters.
>> +
>> +Each function will be called in turn until one returns a non-nil
>> +value. Each function should check if it is responsible for
>> +creating this link (for example by looking at the major mode). If
>> +not, it must exit and return nil. If yes, it should return a
>> +non-nil value after a calling `org-store-link-props' with a list
>> +of properties and values. Special properties are:
>
> Mind the spaces between sentences.
>
> I don't understand why we need to both preserve
> `org-store-link-functions' and use :store property. Wouldn't one
> location be enough?

It probably isn't necessary. I will take it out.

>> +:type         The link prefix, like \"http\".  This must be given.
>> +:link         The link, like \"http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik\";.
>> +              This is obligatory as well.
>> +:description  Optional default description for the second pair
>> +              of brackets in an Org-mode link.  The user can still change
>> +              this when inserting this link into an Org-mode buffer.
>
> Org-mode -> Org mode
>
>> +In addition to these, any additional properties can be specified
>> +and then used in capture templates."
>> +  (append
>> +   org-store-link-functions
>> +   (cl-loop for link in org-link-parameters
>> +        with store-func
>> +        do (setq store-func (org-link-get-parameter (car link) :store))
>> +        if store-func
>> +        collect store-func)))
>
> The above looks dubious. You seem to be collection :store values for
> every link type, in addition to user-defined functions. It doesn't make
> sense to run unrelated store functions.

see above.

> [...]
>> +function takes one optional prefix arg.
>> +
>> +:face - A face for the link, or a function that returns a face.
>> +The function takes one argument which is the link path.  The
>> +default face is `org-link'.
>> +
>> +:mouse-face - The mouse-face. The default is `highlight'.
>> +
>> +:display - `full' will not fold the link in descriptive
>> +display.  Default is `org-link'.
>> +
>> +:help-echo - A string or function that takes (window object position)
>> +as args and returns a string.
>> +
>> +:keymap - A keymap that is active on the link.  The default is
>> +`org-mouse-map'.
>> +
>> +:htmlize-link - A function for the htmlize-link.  Defaults
>> +to (list :uri \"type:path\")
>> +
>> +:activate-func - A function to run at the end of font-lock
>> +activation. The function must accept (link-start link-end path bracketp)
>              ^^^
>
>> +as arguments."
>> +  :group 'org-link
>> +  :type '(alist :tag "Link display paramters"
>> +            :value-type (plist)))
>
> Isn't it plist instead of (plist)?
>
>> +(defun org-link-get-parameter (type key)
>> +  "Get TYPE link property for KEY."
>
> We could add that TYPE is string and KEY a keyword.
>
>> +(defun org-link-set-parameters (type &rest parameters)
>> +  "Set link TYPE properties to PARAMETERS.
>> +  PARAMETERS should be :key val pairs."
>> +  (let ((data (assoc type org-link-parameters)))
>> +    (if data
>> +    (cl-loop for (key val) on parameters by #'cddr
>> +       do
>> +       (setf (cl-getf (cdr data) key)
>> +             val))
>> +      (push (cons type parameters) org-link-parameters)
>> +      (org-make-link-regexps)
>> +      (org-element-update-syntax))))
>
> See at the beginning of the message, I didn't give up yet ;)
>
>> commit a4b9ed7783437838f909f3516fb53f32598e803e
>> Author: John Kitchin <address@hidden>
>> Date:   Tue Jul 5 10:07:10 2016 -0400
>>
>>     Remove org-link-types
>>
>>     * lisp/org.el (org-link-types): Remove this variable.
>>
>>     * testing/lisp/test-ox.el (test-org-export/custom-protocol-maybe):
>>
>>     Remove copy-sequence in the tests. Actually it seems like the let
>>     statement is no longer needed. I guess it was around to protect the list
>>     from extra links getting defined. A downside of this is the links may
>>     get added during tests. That does not seem like a big deal if those are
>>     run in batch mode.
>
> The copy-sequence was used to prevent modifying `org-link-types' by
> side-effect. It is not needed anymore since (org-link-types) generates
> a new list every time.
>
> I think we're almost there, barring my stubbornness about
> `org-link-set-parameters'. Thank you for this work.

No problem, thanks for the detailed feedback and tips! I will send a new
set of revised diffs later.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F