[O] org-ref: customizing bibtex key names generated by doi-utils

From: David Dynerman
Subject: [O] org-ref: customizing bibtex key names generated by doi-utils
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 12:49:09 -0700

Hi all,

I'm interested in exporting HTML from an org document that contains references
managed by org-ref.

I'm running into the following problem. I have a reference that doi-utils added
with a very long bibtex key:

@article{saldin09_struc_isolat_biomol_obtain_from ...

When exporting to html, org-ref uses this bibtex key as the link text in every
citation. This quickly becomes unreadable, especially if you cite the above
paper several times in a paragraph.

Does anyone know how easy it would be to customize the bibtex keys generated by
doi-utils, for instance  by doi-add-bibtex-entry? For instance, if the above
key were just the first author and year, it'd be

@article{Saladin2009

which would be much more readable after HTML export. I took a 30 mins look at
the relevant doi-utils functions but couldn't piece out a reasonable way to
make the change.

I guess another solution would be to modify HTML export to change citation link
text, but that seems like the wrong place to make this change.

Any advice is appreciated!
David