Re: [O] flycheck orgmode on windows invalid output file name

From: Guido Van Hoecke
Subject: Re: [O] flycheck orgmode on windows invalid output file name
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2016 21:41:18 +0200

On 5 June 2016 at 17:25, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: Guido Van Hoecke <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2016 12:45:45 +0200
>>
>> Error while checking syntax automatically: (file-error "Opening output file"
>> "Invalid argument"
>> "c:/Users/guivh/emacs-guivho/.flycheck_emacs-guivho.org[*Org Src
>> emacs-guivho.org[ emacs-lisp ]*]")
>>
>> I checked the windows only issues but did not see something similar.
>>
>> Apparently flycheck has a problem with the fact that the buffer does not
>> correspond to a physical file.
>
> No, I think the problem is that flycheck assumes it can create a file
> whose name includes '*', which is false on Windows.
>
>> I hope there is a known or suggested workaround...
>
> If I'm right, the only solution is to modify flycheck so that it runs
> the file name through convert-standard-filenam

For testing i went to change flycheck-temp-file-system in flycheck.el
so that it reads

(setq tempfile (convert-standard-filename (expand-file-name
(file-name-nondirectory filename)
           directory)))

rather than the original

(setq tempfile (expand-file-name (file-name-nondirectory filename)
           directory))

I than edebugged the flycheck-temp-file-system with the
"c:/Users/guivh/emacs-guivho/.flycheck_emacs-guivho.org[*Org Src
emacs-guivho.org[ emacs-lisp ]*]") filename, and it nicely produced a
tempfile where the '*'s are replaced by '!'s.

Still, when editing elisp blocks from my elisp.org files, I keep
hitting the '*' problem...

Anyway, I do think that your suggestion is to the point, so I am going
to suggest it to the flycheck people. It certainly can't heart to call
this ectra function in non-windows ebvironments, as it doesn't do
anything there.

Thanks Eli,

Guido