[O] Resolving links breaks workflow using org-narrow-to-subtree

From: Andreas Hock
Subject: [O] Resolving links breaks workflow using org-narrow-to-subtree
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 21:46:35 +0100

Hi,

I am using Org-mode version 8.3.2 (8.3.2-10-g00dacd-elpa) to organize
my lecture notes and export them to LaTeX.

The final PDF document is quite large (around 200 pages), so the
corresponding org-file has a decent size as well. To make editing
easier, I often narrow my org buffer down to the chapter I currently
work on with C-x n s (org-narrow-to-subtree).

When I want to quickly check what I've just written and to keep
compilation times down, I export just the currently visible part of the
buffer via C-c C-e l p.

Org-mode then checks if it can resolve all links in the visible part of
the buffer, which often fails, as the link target is in another
(hidden) part of the org-file. This breaks my workflow as I now can't
export my document.

The following minimal case exhibits the problem:

----

#+LATEX_CLASS: article

* Chapter 1
I'm not currently working on this chapter: <<target>>
* Chapter 2
I'm currently working on this chapter and narrow the buffer down to it
[[target]]

----

I'm open for suggestions on how I could change my workflow to work
around this.

Thanks,
Andreas Hock