Re: [O] Bug: Regressions from 8.2.10 (8.2.10-35-g19a7d6-elpaplus) to mas

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Regressions from 8.2.10 (8.2.10-35-g19a7d6-elpaplus) to master/maint
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 08:41:21 -0500

Jan Malakhovski <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm pretty sure that there are other org-mode users that are weeping
> silently since that change. Suppose you have more than a screen of clock
> lines in LOGBOOK under a heading (I have headings that have thousands).
> (org-agenda-goto) before 9f5e698679aecbed872a2030e4157e5e2b1d87e0 is
> very helpful when moving CLOCK lines between headings (think "refile
> CLOCK line") or editing overlaps or gaps: you <Tab> or click on the
> heading and here you are at the CLOCK, but after
> 9f5e698679aecbed872a2030e4157e5e2b1d87e0 you have to *retype* the date
> and time into search, which is annoying to say the least.

Try typing RET in the agenda. That calls org-agenda-switch-to, which
brings you to the relevant clock information in the agenda. (However, if
the information is tucked away in a LOGBOOK, it remains somewhat
inconveniently hidden from view).

> I'm willing to listen, but I seriously doubt there's such a compelling
> argument defending the change. Even when out of `org-agenda-list` in
> plain `org-agenda`, jumping to SCHEDULED or DEADLINE lines is nicer than
> to the heading itself.

I disagree that jumping to the SCHEDULED or DEADLINE lines from a normal
agenda is always nicer than jumping to the headline. I can easily change
planning info from within the agenda. But I cannot change the text of
the headline itself -- that is usually why I jump from the agenda. If
nothing else, we should have both options, which we seem to currently
have with the difference between TAB (org-agenda-goto) and RET
(org-agenda-switch-to). However, I am not sure how intentional this is,
as I can find nothing highlighting this difference in the documentation.

Best,
Matt