Re: [O] pdflatex not found?

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] pdflatex not found?
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 11:51:14 -0400

This reminds me that I think I have this problem unless I open Emacs from a command line.

On Tuesday, October 27, 2015, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
Fatma Başak Aydemir <address@hidden> writes:

> I do not know the reasons but I had the same problem in the past on OS X.
>
> exec-path-from-shell package is a nice solution for that.
>
> https://github.com/purcell/exec-path-from-shell

Just the need for a package like that indicates that something is badly
broken on OS X, I think. To be fair, it's a mess on Linux as well, but
it is possible to make sure that variables you define (and export) in
your .profile get propagated to applications started by the DE/WM. In my
current installation (Fedora 21), that is done by
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc-common, which does this:

[ -r $HOME/.profile ] && . $HOME/.profile

Maybe OS X has a "hidden" mechanism like this?

> 27/10/15 14:43 tarihinde Peter Davis yazdı:
>> Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Envoyé de mon iPhone

>> I think the actual number is more like 2.17, but let's not quibble.

>> Not found.

>> Still not found. However, adding it to ~/.tcshrc seems to fix the
>> problem. That makes sense, but leaves two questions:
>>
>> 1) Why am I able to run pdflatex (without specifying the path) just
>> from the shell running in a terminal window?
>>
>> 2) What's the point of defining the emacs exec-path, since I needed
>> to define the shell's PATH variable anyway?

FWIW, I never define exec-path explicitly: it is set from my $PATH when
emacs starts.

--
Nick

--