Re: [O] pdflatex not found?

From: Peter Davis
Subject: Re: [O] pdflatex not found?
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 09:43:34 -0400

Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:

> Envoyé de mon iPhone
>
>> Le 27 oct. 2015 à 01:14, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> a écrit :
>>
>> Peter Davis <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:
>> Yes, probably, but if I can get people to submit backtraces when getting
>> an error, we can cut down the email volume by a factor of 2.43 (making up
>> fictitious data to bolster my case...) In all seriousness, at least it
>> shows that you are not going down some strange path.

I think the actual number is more like 2.17, but let's not quibble.

>> What happens if you say M-x shell-command RET pdflatex RET?

Not found.

>> Somebody suggested running "which pdflatex" in your shell - what does
>> that say?

Still not found. However, adding it to ~/.tcshrc seems to fix the problem. That
makes sense, but leaves two questions:

1) Why am I able to run pdflatex (without specifying the path) just from the
shell running in a terminal window?

2) What's the point of defining the emacs exec-path, since I needed to define
the shell's PATH variable anyway?

>> And you say it should be in /usr/texbin - what happens if you invoke
>> it with an absolute path: "/usr/texbin/pdflatex" in your shell?
>
> Imiight have missed it - but which OS are you using?

Sorry. It's OS X 10.10.5, using GNU Emacs 24.5.1

Thanks!
-pd