Re: [O] A recent mobile org change causing sync issues

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] A recent mobile org change causing sync issues
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 11:29:57 +0200

Steve Harman <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks Nicolas,
>
> I am not able to post the diff due to the personal nature of the data.
> However, I can say that with the commit, the tags in the #+TAGS line is
> missing. Also, a link to one of the org files is missing.

Note that the commit alters neither TAGS lines nor links.

> Would it be possible to revert this change?

This change was introduced to fix a bug. Reverting it would break
"org-mobile.el" in another way. The problem was reported but no one, so
far, was able to investigate and tell what is wrong in the patch.

> This is such a critical bug and it really disrupted many of ours
> personal workflows.

I sympathize. Unfortunately, it seems that no Org developer is actually
using "org-mobile.el" or knows its internal. Apparently, mobileOrg
expects a specific format for index.org, but it is not documented

> It also embarrassed us towards our colleagues,
> families, and friends who held the view that proprieatary solutions
> are better.

I wouldn't bother about people thinking that proprietary solutions are
better.

> In general, it is preferable to have a test suite which should pass before
> releasing these commits. Yes, there is MELPA stable but not every package
> is on MELPA.

What do you want to test? We don't even know what output is expected. In
any case, if you implement some tests, feel free to submit them to this
ML.

Meanwhile, would the following patch fix the issue?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou