[O] :point-entered and :point-left on text in org-mode?

From: John Kitchin
Subject: [O] :point-entered and :point-left on text in org-mode?
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 09:13:58 -0400

Has anyone tried using :point-entered and :point-left properties in text
in org-mode? I have been looking into them as replacements for some
things I currently do with timers on functional links.

The idea is to use them to run some code when a point enters a link,
e.g. toggle a latex equation, or display a message about the link. I
think it would be better than using post-command-hook, and simpler than
the idle-timer approach I have been using.

Is there some other canonical way to execute code on entering a region?
Thanks!

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F