Re: [O] inter-word space in org -> latex

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [O] inter-word space in org -> latex
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 22:17:16 +0200

On 2015-09-14, at 16:42, Dan Griswold <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dear org-mode community,
>
> In LaTeX, a space after a period is treated as an inter-sentence space,
> which is wider than an inter-word space. This can lead to overly wide
> spacing after a period that ends an abbreviation rather than a space. The
> way to cover this in LaTeX is to use a backslash prior to the space, as in:
>
> Mr.\ Henry Higgins.
>
> I have some documents in org that have the same issue: periods concluding
> abbreviations, with the result that LaTeX puts more space than I want after
> the abbreviation. Yet the use of "\ " does not work, as the backslash is
> exported to LaTeX as a literal backslash.
>
> How should I mark in org mode that I want a space following a period
> concluding an abbreviation to be seen by LaTeX as an interword space?

#+LATEX_HEADER: \frenchspacing

and never worry again.

OTOH, it would be relatively easy to write a filter which converts Emacs
rules wrt. spaces (single/double space) into LaTeX ones.

BTW: Bringhurst claims that using larger spaces at the end of the
sentence is Bad Style™.

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University